Wednesday, October 5, 2011

For my daughter, Shannon...

For my daughter Shannon, who was diagnosed with NF2 in 2002.
I remember leaving home the day you were born. I thought, things will never be the same, and they weren’t.

What love, hope, inspiration and happiness you have brought into my life. I would walk into your nursery and you were always happy, smiling and reaching up to grab life with all the joys it can bring. That love of life and your ability to see good in all things around you has helped you and especially me deal with NF2.
Even in the face of adversity and illness you move forward with courage. You always find the positive side to the ravages NF2 causes to your body.  You have taught me so much and give me the strength to face what lies ahead. 

When NF2 took your hearing and you could no longer sing, you didn’t give up. You used your eyes to photograph all of the beauty you used to sing about.
When NF2 took your sight, you didn’t think of it as an ending but a beginning to teaching and helping others by showing them that no matter what their differences, or handicaps they are to be valued and can be productive members of society. 

Neither of us knows what lies ahead but together we can get through anything NF2 throws our way.  We will always move forward, always look up and embrace what NF2 can never take from us: OUR LOVE.
If I could take your pain away and have the NF2 instead of you I would.  I am always here for you. You are my hero.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! Shannon is such a wonderful young woman and great friend! :) <3

    ReplyDelete