Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Literary work #1, By: Anne S.

I started writing this in class, so I figured I'd post it here.  It's a "renga" styled poem (chain of haiku) and each set of 3 lines forms a haiku (5-7-5 syllables) and tells a snippet of a longer story, about my first 70.3 Ironman race, so I thought this would be good to get this thing started. Please contribute whatever you think is appropriate! Thank you!

Off to bed by ten.
Try to get a good night's sleep.
Leave by four AM.

Sandles, forty out.
Bundled in sweats and wetsuit.
strip down to that suit.

Goggles, cap- ready
Cannon fires a loud bang,
and the pros are off.

Brrr- it's cold- just swim!
The water is sixty-two.
Swim one-point-two miles.

Ankle slap, Head kicked.
Try to follow the bouys,
to stay on the course.

Exit water- brrrr!
Quickly strip off that wetsuit.
Barefoot. Run. T1.

Run across the grass.
Helmet, gloves, socks and shoes- GO!
Pedal fast and smooth.

Gulp some power juice.
Use Propectuem or that GU.
I need nutrients.

I see many signs
chalk written on the asphalt
insprational

no complaining here
earn your iron today
you are my hero

on and on they go
my knees wanna quit,
but my heart says GO!

Before I know it,
I am half way done with this race
keep on pedaling

Ten more miles to ride,
before I hop off this bike,
Transition is soon.

T2- I arrive at,
I change shoes at speed of light
and off I go- RUN!

Why do I do this-
some people think its insane!
Awareness I bring.

I wear bright yellow
NEUROFIBROMATOSIS
Hope to end NF

On and on I run,
through many aches and bad pains
With one goal- FINISH!

Run thirteen-point-one
I run two big loops- one done
six more miles to go

I walk a little
on only the second loop
Slowly I run now

I want to finish
And finish- I know I will
I have had some doubt

but now I know I will
Near mile twelve- I see my dad
He runs beside me

I am almost there
One mile to finish
I see the finish!

Inflatable arch
Almost magical it seems
8 hours 5 minutes

Camera everywhere,
Cameras flashing and clicking,
I feel like a star.

Volunteer approaches
to as if I am okay.
they hand me two drinks.

My fiance waits,
end of finish chute, he stands
I see him waiting

I hug him tightly,
and give him big sweaty kiss,
then we go find food!

No comments:

Post a Comment